Monday, December 21, 2009

"I'm in so much pain I feel like I'm in a Cure song"

I have to give credit to my husband for this comment that made me laugh so hard today I almost peed. "I'm in so much pain I feel like I'm in a Cure song". Absolutely fucking hysterical.

Now for those of you who don't know a) why he's in pain or b) who The Cure is, well if it's b, you're just a fucking idiot. The explanation for reason a is that DH hurt his back badly at work and needs surgery. To make it worse, NYC got about a foot of snow dumped on it this weekend. DH had to shovel out his car because my attempt at it was feeble. So he made his back worse.

Now back to b. OK. I shouldn't call you a fucking idiot if you don't know who The Cure is. But really, you are. The Cure is a band that formed in the late 70's and gained a lot of popularity throughout the 80's. It is an offshoot of the goth/punk scene. I will not get into the history of goth 101. It will take too long and I'm making dinner so no history lesson for you! (Said in my best Soup Nazi voice.) The Cure is considered one of the all time greatest goth bands. I will not debate whether or not their sound is gothic. I will not debate whether or not they are considered goth because of Fat Bob's appearance. (Robert Smith is the singer and main member of The Cure. He is sometimes lovingly and not so lovingly referred to as Fat Bob. I say it with love.) Let's just say for all intents and purposes, The Cure is a gothic band.

Being a gothic band, they should, or at least they used to, have a somewhat depressing sound and/or lyrics. They are often used in jokes in more mainstream movies and tv shows when referring to goth. (Think Adam Sandler talking to Drew Barrymore about listening to a lot of Cure stuff when he was left at the altar in the Wedding Singer.) This is probably due to a lot of old Cure fans now in positions where their taste in music can be shared with the mainstream. But I digress.

So what makes this absolutely hysterical to me is that DH does not like The Cure. I am a huge fan of older Cure material and have been for as long as I can remember. My close friends are as well. However, DH is not nor was he ever. This was a problem when I met him. When talking with friends, I divulged that he did not like The Cure. We all agreed that he and I should not be together. So much for that. I married the bastard. Again, I digress.

So DH doesn't like The Cure but uses them to illustrate just how much pain he's in. Now I ask you, if he didn't like them on some level, how would he know enough to use them in his joke? Maybe he's just making fun. Maybe he's really a closet Cure fan. (That would be fucking awesome!)

So Mr. Smith, if you ever happen upon this, yes I call you Fat Bob. No I shouldn't. But I do. However, it is with the utmost love and admiration that I call you by that name. It is a bizarre form of flattery.

To DH, come out of The Cure closet. It's ok. I'll even hold your hand.

To those of you who really don't know who the hell The Cure is, I really feel terribly sorry for you.

EDIT: I had a link up to a video I found on youtube but it was taken down. Just search The Cure. It's good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment