Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Wow its been too long

I didn't realize how long its been since I wrote something. So try this on:

I think emotions running high make for good creative material. I think most artists, whether that's in some tangible medium, musician, anything creative, have a highly emotional side. I think a lot of us are completely nuts too. But I also think there's a middle ground somewhere. But what's more important is the question: If the emotions are controlled, is the creativity squashed?

I think it is. I think highly creative people who are very talented should stay as far away from therapy as possible. I think they should let their emotions run wild and use that to create whatever they can and as often as they can. From personal experience, as both an artist and a therapist, I honestly believe that therapy can kill a creative career.

However, be forewarned. Highly emotional highly creative types can and often do drive everyone around them nuts. Misery loves company right? They may act erratically and have ups and downs worse then the newest roller coaster at Six Flags. But that's why we love them.

Then again, most of us have a distant relationship with these artists. Most of us don't know them well or at all. They've drawn a picture we've seen or wrote a song we like. But we don't hang out with them. So for those that are shielded from the insanity, we have it easy. Of course we want them to be as crazy as they can to create what they can.

But if these people worked out their "issues" that they tap into for their creativity, there would be nothing left. They would have come to terms with or gotten over the very issues that drive that creative part of them. Now I'm not saying they would lose their edge completely. But it would be quite watered down.

Maybe I'm just full of shit. But that's what I think. That's my rant for hating the fact that I chose a career where I can't help people the way I want to because of the bureaucracy I work in. I might have been crazy while working in my former career but at least I felt alive. And productive.

So who wants to give me a writing gig? My current job sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment